Thoughts at length.
- On evolving IndieAuth. Thoughts on how we can improve the user experience of IndieAuth.
- The missing quadrant of consumer technology. Experience‐driven Open (XO) is the missing quadrant of consumer technology. It is essential that we start building products that fall under this category of technology if we want to craft a future society where individuals own their digital selves.
- Trickle‐down technology and why it doesn’t work. Just as the unprecedented global wealth gap between the super rich and everyone else proves that trickle‐down economics doesn’t work, the glaring lack of open source adoption in the consumer space indicates that trickle‐down technology isn’t working either.
- Indie Data is a movement to create, support, and popularise products that empower you to own digital self; your data, tools, & profile.
- Beware of geeks bearing gifts. First Google, and now Facebook, want to connect the world to the Internet. Surely, this can only be a good thing, right?
- Schnail Mail. Introducing our latest startup which offers you free unlimited real mail for life. (Also: German translation by Sebastian Gingter.)
- On owning your own data. Owning your own data is like owning your own home. Unfortunately, we live in a world where our only option is to rent from companies that snoop on us. Prometheus aims to change that.
- Codename Prometheus is a new initiative to create an open platform that competes on user experience in the consumer space.
- Sites vs. Apps defined: the Documents‐to‐Applications Continuum. Documents and applications sit at opposite ends of a continuum.
- Responsive Pixels, the concept introduced in this post, gives you all the advantages of using pixels combined with all the advantages of using rems. So you get a relative unit that is also easy to visualise. A responsive pixel is a pixel that is equivalent to a rem.
- A letter from Lindsay. Lindsay Sandiford, who faces death by firing squad in Bali unless we can help her, has written a letter addressed to me and everyone else trying to help her. I share her letter with you.
- Save Lindsay Sandiford. Help 56 year-old British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford appeal her death sentence with the Supreme Court in Bali. The UK government won’t help her but we can.
- Pixel‐parity rems. Get all the advantages of using rems combined with all the advantages of using pixels. A pixel‐parity rem is a rem that is equivalent to a pixel. Pixel‐parity rems are relative units that are also as easy as pixels to visualise.
- Diversity, equality, toxicity, etc. We all lose when a young man who cares about diversity and equality is hesitant to speak publicly about the subject because we’ve made it toxic to do so.
- Stop starting at my willy, please. It’s not everyday that you get mainstream media confirmation that you are, indeed, the owner of male genitalia. It is sad, however, when an important topic gets overshadowed by talk of willies.
- On false dichotomies and diversity. Having a diverse roster of speakers at a conference does not imply that those speakers were not chosen on merit.
- 2012: year in review I take a stroll down memory lane to review the year that’s been.
- Design is not veneer. This is a response to the article ‘How to make your site look half‐decent in half an hour’ by Anna Powell‐Smith on 24 ways.
- Learning to think before I tweet. An apology to 24 ways and Anna Powell‐Smith for having all the grace of a bull in a china shop on Twitter yesterday morning.